Giovina Marina La Vecchia
Giovina Marina La Vecchia was born in Milan in 1960.
1984 Master degree in Mechanical Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano;
1989 Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino with a thesis on: "Fracture toughness of UNI 39NiCrMo3 quenched and tempered steels: effect of microstructure and specimen geometry".
1988-1998 Assistant Professor of Metallurgy at the University of Brescia.
1998-2003 Associate Professor of Metallurgical Technology - University of Brescia.
1998-2001 Associate Professor of Mechanical Metallurgy - Politecnico di Milano.
Since 2004 Full Professor of Metallurgy - University of Brescia.
Her research work has a strong applied mark, due to the several grants active between the Mechanical Department of Brescia University, in which the Metallurgy group is working, and many Italian industries working in the Mechanical, Metallurgical or iron and steel fields.
Her experimental activity has involved of X-ray diffraction technique, residual stress measurements, optical and electron microscopy analysis, and mechanical characterization (fracture mechanics, fatigue, thermal fatigue, contact fatigue, wear and corrosion tests).
Among the different investigated topics particular attention was devoted to:
- Fracture mechanics and failure analysis of steels, aluminum alloys, powder metallurgy materials and Metal Matrix Composites;
- Mechanical and microstructural characterization of Al/SiC composites obtained by different production technologies;
- Mechanical characterization of thin or thick coatings (PVD, Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation, and thermal sprayed coatings) deposed both on steel and aluminum substrates;
- Residual stress measurements by X-ray technique;
- Effect of duplex treatment (nitriding + PVD coating) on different functional properties: fatigue, thermal fatigue, toughness, and adhesion;
- Forged components studied both in term of microstructural discontinuity (segregations) and by the simulation to optimize the quenching treatment not only traditional but also innovative by the use of spray quenching techniques.
She has been principal or associate investigator in different public grants (from MURST TO PRIN Projects, from CNR to Regione Lombardia grants)
Author of about 150 papers published both in National and International journals and presented at National or International Conferences.
She is a member of the Italian Association of Metallurgy (AIM), where she is joined in two Technical Committees: Thermal treatments, and Coatings and Forging.
She is a member of different Organizing and Scientific Committees in national and international events concerning metallurgical or iron and steel topics.
From 2002 to 2009 she was a member of the AIM Executive Council (Italian Association of Metallurgy). She is in the same position since 2014.
From November 2012 to October 2016 she had the responsibility of the Research Council in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the University of Brescia.
Since November 2016 is Delegate of Innovation and Technology Transfer for the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
She is the referee of different scientific journals like Surface and Coatings Technology, International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, International Journal of Fatigue, and La Metallurgia Italiana.